Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Food is served and you're stone cold munchin'

So I have an iPod shuffle. It's not fancy. It's not new. But I usually only listen to it at the gym and it does the job just fine. Because I typically use it at the gym, most of the songs on it are of the upbeat, "if this came on while I was on the elliptical, I'd be so pumped" variety.

However, there are also probably ten to fifteen songs on it that I put there just because I love them, and these are more of the slow-paced, "I might take my toaster in the bathtub" variety. They're nice in the morning, before I've really come to terms with being awake and going to work. So sometimes I use my iPod on the bus ride/walk to work. But that's when the trouble starts. Because, inevitably, when what I really want to hear is The Sundays, or Ryan Adams, or something not too perky and not too upbeat, the shuffle serves up every ridiculous novelty song I've ever downloaded for use at the gym. These include the following hot hits:

"Bust a Move" by Young MC
"If You Leave" by OMD
"Love Train" by The O'Jays
"Barracuda" by Heart
"Don't Bring Me Down" by ELO
"Let's Hear It for the Boy" by Deniece Williams

I think you get the idea; there's probably no need for me to further humiliate myself with additional track listings. The point is, when it's 7:30 a.m. and you're not in the mood to bust a move, having to furiously skip past a long list of these songs on your headphones can just make things worse. Especially if you're on the 18 bus, and you've just seen a homeless guy's dime slot, then been sneezed on by the disheveled cat lady sitting way too close to you.

Which is probably why I barked at Emily in the kitchen this morning.

Maybe I should just get a real iPod.

Dear Government, please hurry up with that tax rebate.

4 comments:

Morgan said...

Bust a Move is an *excellent* song and I resent your labelling it a "ridiculous novelty song".

Nikki said...

i thought this was going to be a blog about food.
i am disappointed.

Emily said...

At least you're willing to acknowledge the bark. It actually felt more like a bite ...

cwagenam said...

Love Train? Let's Hear it for the Boy? Really?